Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Barry Bonds

I'm not sure if you've been following the sports world lately, but I've become quite a baseball fan over the years, especially recently.  The big news in the baseball world is that Barry Bonds has finally broken the home run record for the most home runs in a career.  He passed Hank Aaron, who has 755 home runs in his career.  This is probably one of the most confusing times in baseball history.  It has taught me a lot about life, and how to conduct yourself.

"The end justifies the means."


This is absolutely the worst idea ever.
The way that you conduct yourself is key
to how people perceive everything that you do.
 Here is a list of athletes that have broken
 significant records that are seen in a good
 light amongst the media:

Michael Jordan, Cal Ripken Jr., Reggie White, Wayne Gretzky, Tiger Woods and Nolan Ryan.

They all have accomplished great
things in their sport, and there are
others as well.  The important thing
is that these players all have character.
  They believe in supporting others, they
 are not self-centered.  Even Tiger Woods,
 who is an individual player with a decent
 sized ego, holds himself in a manner that
 does not put down others.

The way that you treat others affects how
they will view you, today and tomorrow.
 You can have a record for the most number
of home runs, you can be the best player in
your sport, and still not be a hero.

O.J. Simpson, Barry Bonds, Pete Rose, Dennis
Rodman, and Terrell Owens all have been fairly
successful in their sport.  However, they are not
generally liked by the public.  It doesn't matter
how many championships you have or how many
records you hold, or even how much money you
make.  At the end of the day, to have teammates,
coaches, family, friends, and fans that respect you
is more valuable than any personal accomplishment
that requires you to put yourself and your ego before
everything else.

I just want to say that I do aspire to do good, even
great things in this world.  However, I know that
nothing that I have done or anything that I will
do would be possible without a loving God,
wonderful family and friends, and teammates /
coworkers / fellow citizens of the community.
 I hope that I carry myself in a way that appreciates
others and takes care of the people that are important,
because when my life is over, I want people to see my
life in a good light.